1860, sharkskin/brass wire inlay, iron fittings, found on Kangwha Island, Kyung Ki Do Province. Certified.
This chest was found on Kangwha Island, a political prison colony for the Kingdom of Korea for two thousand years. It was discovered by an esteemed American missionary doctor who went to Korea to treat the sick and dying after the Japanese Occupation. He was allowed to remove any furniture because furniture was not valued by the elite class and the government. of that era. This chest, highly decorated, was most likely property of a concubine from the palace to use it to store her clothing. It was certified by one of only thirteen certifiers approved by the Korean government in the 1900s.